Felipe Massa considering Formula E switch

Felipe Massa has confirmed that he is considering a switch to Formula E after previously looking set to do this season after testing for Jaguar.

Felipe Massa of Brazil and Williams looks on in the Drivers Press Conference during previews ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Belgium at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on August 24, 2017 in Spa, Belgium.

Felipe Massa has admitted that he is not ruling out a switch from Formula 1 to Formula E in the future as the all-electric single seater racing series is increasing in popularity, with a number of manufacturers such as Mercedes, Porsche and BMW set to join the grid.

Felipe Massa considering Formula E switch

Last year, Massa looked set to make a full-time move to Formula E after announcing his retirement from F1. However, following the retirement of Nico Rosberg and when Valtteri Bottas was drafted into Mercedes for 2017, came back to F1 to partner Lance Stroll at Williams.

“After I decided to retire from F1 I did a test with Jaguar,” said Massa. “I think it’s a fantastic series and I see a great future when I decide to stop F1.”

In the paddock, rumours surround Massa and his place at Williams, with Fernando Alonso, Carlos Sainz Jr and Sergio Perez all being linked to his seat for 2018.

Massa responded to these rumours when talking to Brazil’s Globo: “I feel like I’m still competitive and so that is motivating,” he said. “But it is true that I do not want to stay in F1 to be at the back of the grid.”

Massa currently lies in 11th place in the Drivers’ Championship with 27 points to his name and is having a season of mixed results. The 36 year old looked strong at the start of the year at pre-season testing in Barcelona and at the first few races, however, seems to have lost momentum in his 15th Formula 1 campaign.
Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images

LEAVE A REPLY