Nicolas Todt says that Charles Leclerc will drive in F1 in 2018

Charles Leclerc's manager has said that the Monégasque driver will race in Formula 1 in 2018, although it is unknown for which team.

Charles from Monaco of Prema Racing Ferrari driver academy during the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on August 27, 2017 in Spa, Belgium.

Charles Leclerc’s manager, Nicholas Todt, has said that the rising star will be racing in Formula 1 next season.

Nicolas Todt says that Charles Leclerc will drive in F1 in 2018

Leclerc, who is part of the Ferrari Driver Academy, currently drives for Prema Racing in Formula 2 and is dominating the championship, securing pole position at seven of the nine rounds so far and winning five of the 16 races this season. This has left him in first place in the Drivers’ Championship, 59 points ahead of Oliver Rowland who is his nearest challenger.

Following Sauber’s renewed engine partnership with Ferrari for 2018, it is expected that the Swiss outfit will become a Junior Team for the Scuderia. This has led to both Antonio Giovinazzi and Charles Leclerc being linked to the team for a race seat next year.

Nicholas Todt believes that the seat will fall into the hands of Leclerc: “Charles is a unique driver. That is obvious. This year, his priority is to win the Formula 2 title, which is something very few drivers have managed to do on debut,” he said. “My goal is that he gets to formula one next season. I cannot say that this will definitely happen, but given Charles’ achievements in Formula 2, I think nothing will prevent his F1 debut in 2018.”

It has also been confirmed that Leclerc will participate in four practice sessions for Sauber for the remainder of 2017, driving for the team in FP1 at Malaysia, the US, Mexico and Brazil. This will not be the first time that Monégasque driver has taken part in a grand prix weekend, having driven for Haas F1 on four occasions last season.

As Marcus Ericsson’s backers are a key aspect of Sauber’s finances, it is unlikely that if Leclerc did join Sauber that he would replace the Swede. It is more likely that Pascal Wehrlein would instead be forced out of the team, being affiliated to Mercedes.
Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images

LEAVE A REPLY