In a closely contested qualifying session for the GP2 Feature Race at Monza, it was Prema Racing’s Pierre Gasly who was successful, taking another pole position and a further four points for his championship challenge.
Pierre Gasly Secures GP2 Pole In Italy
It will be Pierre Gasly who will start in pole position for tomorrow’s GP2 Feature Race ahead of this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix. Starting alongside Gasly will be GP2’s hot new rookie Antonio Giovinazzi who started in pole position for last weekend’s Belgian GP2 Feature Race. This marks yet another front row lock out for Prema Racing in their first season in the GP2 Series. Giovinazzi was only 0.054 seconds from taking pole off his team mate, in what would have marked his third pole positon of the season.
Artem Markelov will start in a GP2 career best third place for Russian Time, 0.349 seconds behind the pole time. Markelov’s team mate, Raffaele Marciello will start in thirteenth place. Starting alongside Markelov will be Arthur Pic for Rapax. Mitch Evans rounded out the top five positions in qualifying, starting tomorrow’s race in fifth place for Campos Racing.
Britain’s Jordan King and Alex Lynn will start in sixth and seventh place for Racing Engineering and DAMS. Qualifying in the top ten for the first time in his GP2 career will be Nabil Jeffri for Arten International. Title hopefuls Sergey Sirotkin and Norman Nato will start in ninth and tenth place for tomorrow’s feature race.
- Pierre Gasly, Prema Racing, 1m31.199s
- Antonio Giovinazzi, Prema Racing, 1m31.253s
- Artem Markelov, Russian Time, 1m31.548s
- Arthur Pic, Rapax, 1m31.617s
- Mitch Evans, PERTAMINA Campos Racing, 1m31.666s
- Jordan King, Racing Engineering, 1m31.710s
- Alex Lynn, DAMS, 1m31.775s
- Nabil Jeffri, Arden International, 1m31.795s
- Sergey Sirotkin, ART Grand Prix, 1m31.816s
- Norman Nato, Racing Engineering, 1m31.845s
- Luca Ghiotto, Trident, 1m31.855s
- Oliver Rowland, MP Motorsport, 1m31.864s
- Raffaele Marciello, Russian Time, 1m31.986s
- Nobuharu Matsushita, ART Grand Prix, 1m32.037s
- Marvin Kirchhofer, Carlin, 1m32.172s
- Nicholas Latifi, DAMS, 1m32.192s
- Sergio Canamasas, Carlin, 1m32.196s
- Gustav Malja, Rapax, 1m32.215s
- Sean Gelael, PERTAMINA Campos Racing, 1m32.481s
- Daniel de Jong, MP Motorsport, 1m33.071s
- Philo Armand, Trident, 1m33.269s
- Jimmy Eriksson, Arden International, 1m33.929s
*Following qualifying, it has been announced that Antonio Giovinazzi and Nabil Jeffri will start from the back of the grid after being disqualified from qualifying. The pair were disqualified after failing to comply with technical regulations, having insufficient tyre pressures. This will promote Artem Markelov onto the front row of the grid alongside Pierre Gasly. Arthur Pic will start in third.